Published on 07 December 2012
68 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
114 – Number of days until Opening Day
40 – Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
The Winter Meetings in Nashville have come to close, but there is still so much going as the weekend approaches today. The wait continues to see where Josh Hamilton, Justin Upton, and several others will land this offseason.
- The Philadelphia Phillies have their center fielder. They shipped right-handed Vance Worley and right-handed pitching prospect Trevor May to Minnesota Twins for outfielder Ben Revere, who will be the Phillies Opening Day center fielder.
FOX Sports Ken Rosenthal reported that talks between Zack Greinke and the Los Angeles Dodgers have reached a "critical stage" and the Dodgers are considering ending negotiations to pursue other players. Fine by me. Make a trade for James Shields, sign Kyle Loshe.
- The Boston Red Sox and Koji Uehara agreed to a one-year deal for $1 million. Uehara will be a middle relief guy for the Red Sox and the most likely candidate to close a few games if Andrew Bailey needs a night off or is injured.
Sean Rodriguez avoided arbitration by signing a one-year, $1 million contract with the Tampa Bay Rays.
- The New York Yankees made Kevin Youkilis a one-year offer for 2013. Youkilis also has an offer from the Cleveland Indians for more years and more dollars. It would not be surprising if Youkilis takes the one-year offer from the Yankees and become a free agent again next year.
Troy Tulowitzki (groin) is expected to be fully cleared for baseball activities this month. This is the first bit of good news that Rockies fans have received in a long time. Tulo has regained nearly all the strenght in his leg since surgery to remove scar tissue from his left groin area.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks agreed to a one-year deal with Wil Nieves.
- The Minnesota Twins agreed to terms with right-handed reliever Jared Burton on a two-year contract extension that includes a club option for 2015. Burton will be the set-up man for Glen Perkins.
- The Atlanta Braves agreed to terms with Reed Johnson on a one-year deal.
- The Texas Rangers agreed to terms with Randy Wells on a one-year deal.
- The wait continues to see where Josh Hamilton, R.A. Dickey, Zack Greinke, Justin Upton, and Adam LaRoche.
- Happy 65th Birthday to Johnny Bench!