Published on 20 December 2012
55 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
101 – Number of days until Opening Day
27 – Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
- The Los Angeles Angels traded Kendry Morales to the Seattle Mariners for Justin Vargas. Morales is entering the final year of his contract the trade so moving him makes sense for the Angels. The Angels were desperate to add a left-hander that could be an innings eater and that is exactly what Vargas provides them. The other thing the Angels like is that Vargas is a fly ball pitcher and with such an athletic outfield, Vargas should do well in Anaheim. I like the trade as it fills a need for both clubs. The Mariners are still in need of adding more pieces. Morales is definitely going to help the weak Mariners offense, but the Mariners have a lot of work to do to improve the club offensively. I still believe that Felix Hernandez is the one guy on their roster that can be traded and bring back multiple players that the Mariners need to improve their club.
- The Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians are the frontrunners for Edwin Jackson, but it appears today that the Cubs are the frontrunners for the free agent right-hander. It appears that it is going to be a four-year deal. Like Vargas, Jackson will give the Cubs innings.
- The Chicago Cubs agreed to a two-year deal with Carlos Villanueva on Wednesday. Villanueva is coming off a season in which he saw his longest run as a starter in the majors. Villanueva started 16 games for the Blue Jays and for a stretch of the season, he was most dependable starters before faltering down the stretch.
- The Chicago Cubs and Cory Wade agreed to minor league contract. Wade will be invited to spring training with a chance to earn a bullpen spot
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Boston Red Sox and Dodgers are interested in trading for Joel Hanrahan. The Dodgers appear set on adding a reliever and could make a play for Chris Perez or Bobby Parnell. Now I understand why the Dodgers gave Brandon League
- The Los Angeles Dodgers relief pitcher, Ronald Belisario was kicked off his Venezuelan Winter League team for disciplinary reasons.
- The Texas Rangers have shown some interest in Cody Ross. Ross met with the Rangers brass this week . The Rangers have also reached out to A.J. Pierzynski and met with his representatives.
- The New York Yankees agreed to a two-year deal with Ichiro Suzuki. This deal has been reported for the last ten days, but the two sides finalized it on Wednesday. Ichiro will likely handle right field in the Bronx, with Curtis Granderson moving to left field and Brett Gardner taking over in center.
- The Milwaukee Brewers and Tom Gozelanny agreed on a two-year deal pending a physical.
THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY - 1921 - At the major league meetings, the AL voted to return to the best-of-seven World Series and the NL voted to keep it best-of-nine. Judge Landis casted the deciding vote, and the best-of-seven format is reinstated.
THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY - 1940 - Connie Mack acquires controlling interest in the Athletics from the Shibe family at the price of $42,000.