Published on 04 January 2013
40 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
86 – Number of days until Opening Day
12 – Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
California Winter League News & Notes:
- Opening Day is January 19th at Palm Springs Stadium
- Season ends February 12th
- Games begin at 9am, 11:30am and 2pm
- Each day during the season there will be games 7 days a week with 3 games per day
- League instructors: Are men who are former MLB players, coaches, & Managers who all currently work with professional independent teams and are looking to sign players for their own rosters. (This becomes a scouting/recruiting trip for them).
- Instructors web page: http://californiawinterleague.com/instructors/
- Visit www.californiawinterleague.com for more information
- The Arizona Diamondbacks remain open to trading Justin Upton. The Diamondbacks have a crowded outfield after signing Cody Ross, which is making the team open to trading their star outfielder. Jason Kubel is another name surfacing in trade talks, however Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers has gone on record by saying that its possible all three will be in Arizona on Opening Day.
- New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman announced that no date has been set for Alex Rodriguez's left hip surgery, and he's not expected to have the procedure until "at least" mid-January. He's expected to need 4-6 months of recovery time. Kevin Youkilis will hold down third base in the meantime. It would not surprise me if Rodriguez has played his final game.
- The Baltimore Orioles and Tampa Bay Rays have inquired about Lance Berkman along with the Texas Rangers. The Rangers make the most sense after losing Josh Hamilton to free agency and trading Michael Young to the Phillies, Texas could use some offense and has the money required to get a deal done. Berkman would be strictly a DH at this point and staying close to home may be the deciding factor.
- The Texas Rangers signed Jason Frasor agreed on a one-year contract. Frasor has spent the majority of his nine-year career with the Toronto Blue Jays. Frasor posted a rough 4.12 ERA in 43 2/3 innings of relief in 2012 with Toronto, but he's a decent bounceback candidate. Expect him to pitch in middle relief with his new squad.
- San Diego Padres pitcher, Andrew Cashner, who needed emergency surgery last month on his right thumb after suffering a lacerated tendon during a hunting accident is expected to begin the season on the disabled list.
- The Las Vegas Police Department detained San Francisco's relief pitcher Sergio Romo after he apparently got into a argument with someone. Romo was released and allowed to go on his way, but he will have to appear in court in the next couple of weeks.
THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1957 - The Dodgers bought a 44-passenger twin-engine airplane for $775,000, which they will use to transport the club during the season. They are the first team to own their own plane.