Published on 07 January 2013
37 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
83 – Number of days until Opening Day
9 – Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
California Winter League News & Notes:
- Opening Day is January 19th at Palm Springs Stadium
- Season ends February 12th
- Starting on the 20th of January, 3 games per day
- 1 ticket will get customers into all 3 games each day.
- League Description: Professional player and free agent showcase league
- Over our first 3 seasons 50+% of all CWL players have left with spring training opportunities with both MLB & Independent professional teams.
- Games begin at 9am, 11:30am and 2pm
- Visit www.californiawinterleague.com for more information
- The Texas Rangers and Lance Berkman agreed to a one-year contract with the Rangers on Saturday. With the loss of Josh Hamilton and Michael Young this offseason, the Rangers were in need of some offensive help. Berkman will be limited to DH duties, but as a switch hitter, he'll help balance a right-handed heavy lineup.
- Atlanta Braves general manager Frank Wren said Sunday on SiriusXM's Inside Pitch that Julio Teheran is probably the favorite for the No. 5 starter job. It's surprising given that Teheran had a disappointing 5.08 ERA over 26 starts at Triple-A in 2012 and has struggled in his brief time with the Braves.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers and J.P. Howell agreed to a one-year deal. After undergoing shoulder surgery and missing all of the 2010 season, Howell struggled in 2011 with an 6.16 ERA. However, Howell turned things around last year in Tampa Bay as he posted a 3.04 ERA. Along with Brandon League, Howell will be seen in the late innings for the Dodgers.
- The swirling reports about the Miami Marlins trying to trade Giancarlo Stanton are false. The Marlins haven't even "discussed" it. By the time Stanton becomes a free agent, the organization will have gone through a few more rebuilding off seasons. If not, he'll most surely sign with another team.
- Atlanta Braves general manager Frank Wren said Sunday that the team has "never closed the door" on re-signing Michael Bourn. The reality is that Bourn's price would have to drop for him to become a realistic option for the Braves. While the market for Bourn has been slower than expected, he'll almost surely end up being too expensive for Atlanta.
- It appears the Chicago Cubs will consider trade offers for Matt Garza if the he can prove in spring training that his elbow is healthy. With the signings of Edwin Jackson, Carlos Villanueva, Scott Baker and Scott Feldman, the Cubs may look to deal Garza for more prospects.
- The Chicago Cubs and Dontrelle Willis agreed to a minor league contract. Willis retired from baseball in July after posting a 8.53 ERA in four appearances for the Orioles' Triple-A Norfolk affiliate.Willis will attempt a comeback with the Cubs, and it's possible that he could be asked to make a start for the big-league club at some point next season.
THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1992 -Tom Seaver one of the greatest starting pitchers of all time, and Rollie Fingers, who helped revolutionize the role of the relief pitcher, are elected to the Hall of Fame. Between the two of them, they won or saved 767 games: Seaver had 311 wins and one save, while Fingers had 114 wins and 341 saves.