Published on 08 January 2013
36 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
82 – Number of days until Opening Day
8 – Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
California Winter League News & Notes
- League games start on Saturday January 19th
- Starting on the 20th of January, 3 games per day - February 12th
- League Description: Professional player and free agent showcase league
- Each day during the week, the CWL has a different promo on ticket prices, food, and drink
- Selected Saturday and Sunday afternoon games will be broadcasted on Team 1010.
- For more information, you can visit www.CaliforniaWinterLeague.com.
MLB News & Notes
- The San Diego Padres invited 21 non-roster players to Spring Training camp on Monday. Third baseman Jedd Gyorko, who put up strong numbers in the minors leads that group of prospects. Gyorko was impressive as a 23-year-old in Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson in 2012 as he hit .311 with 30 homers and 28 doubles with 100 RBI. He'll begin the 2013 season at second base with Chase Headley blocking his path to everyday playing time at third base. Defensively, Gyorko won't last at second base, but this shouldn't keep the Padres from attempting to see what he can do at the position in the short term.
- The San Diego Padres invited pitching prospect Robbie Erlin to Spring Training camp on Monday along with Austin Hedges. Hedges is one of the top catching prospects and his opportunity to make the team in spring training is more likely with the 50-game suspension to Yasmani Grandal.
- The Milwaukee Brewers and Mike Gonzalez agreed to a one-year deal on Monday. Gonzalez will give the Brewers some flexibility in their bullpen. He joins Tom Gorzelanny to give the Brewers two left-handers in their bullpen.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers and Alfredo Amezaga agreed on a minor league contract. Amezaga hasn't seen significant time in the big leagues since 2008. He'll head to spring training as a long shot to win a spot on the Dodgers' 25-man roster.
- The Boston Red Sox remain hopeful to complete the Mike Napoli deal. Napoli agreed to terms on a three-year deal on Dec. 3, but a pre-existing hip injury was detected during Napoli's physical on Dec. 7.
- The New York Yankees insist that Derek Jeter will be ready for Opening Day even though has yet to do any baseball related activities. Jeter has not been able to swing a bat, field a ball or run on dry land since suffering a broken ankle in the 12th inning of Game 1 of the AL Championship Series.
THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1996 - For the first time in 25 years, no one garners 75 percent of the votes needed to be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Phil Niekro came the closest with 68 percent of the vote.