Published on 11 January 2013
33 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
79 – Number of days until Opening Day
5– Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
California Winter League News & Notes
- League games start on Saturday January 19th
- PROMO DAYS
Sunday – $9 Power ticket (includes admission, hot dog, drink and chips)
Monday – Mulligan Monday (Free small bucket of balls from Tahquitz Creek with ticket stub)
Tuesday – 2 for Tuesday (2 for 1 admission,$2 sodas, beer hot dogs
- A selected number of games on Saturday and Sunday will be heard on Team 1010 KXPS
- For more information, you can visit www.CaliforniaWinterLeague.com.
MLB News & Notes
- The big news from Thursday was that Justin Upton rejected a proposed trade to the Seattle Mariners. Upton has a four team no trade clause and the Mariners are one of those teams. He had the right to block the trade and he did just that yesterday. Its been reported that the Mariners offered the best pitching prospect in the game, right-hander Taijuan Walker, lefties Danny Hultzen and James Paxton, plus infielder Nick Franklin and left hander Charlie Furbush. So where does Seattle go from here? They tried to sign Josh Hamilton and trade for Andre Either and Billy Butler. Clearly, the Mariners want a big hitter, but it is not happening. Michael Bourn is still out there, but he really does not fit their biggest needs. Maybe this package of players the Mariners are willing to trade may entice the Miami Marlins to pick up the phone and offer Giancarlo Stanton. Stanton is exactly the type of bat the Mariners need and the Marlins get top level talent.
- The Atlanta Braves are still considering bringing back Michael Bourn, but it is a long shot at best. The Braves are in the never ending Justin Upton trade talks, but that option too is a long shot. A more realistic option for the Braves is to give Evan Gattis an opportunity in the outfield. At 26 years old, Gattis is not a typical minor league prospect. He provides power and if he can prove that he can play left field, look for him to be in the mix.
- This is Day 40 of the Mike Napoli drama in Boston. If he wants to continue to play, Napoli has to address this hip injury. The Red Sox and Napoli are still talking, but this is approaching the JD Drew 52-delay of signing with the Red Sox. The Red Sox have checked in on Michael Morse. They can easily say goodbye to Napoli with the deal not signed and by trading for Morse, it keeps him away from the New York Yankees.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers were hoping that Hanley Ramirez in the Dominican Winter League, but he has only be able to DH as he has been nursing an injury. Ramirez will start the season at shortstop, but the Dodgers want him work on his defense.
- Houston Astros prospect Jonathan Singleton, first baseman of the future, has been suspended for the first 50 games of the 2013 season for his second violaton of minor league baseball's drug policy. He tested positive for marijuana.
- I will be attending the Baseball HQ First Pitch Los Angeles Symposium on Saturday, February 16th. This year's program focuses on uncovering the impact players - from sleepers to potential busts of the 2013 season. Speakers will look at playing time opportunities, injury prognoses, bullpen volatility, minor league scouting, statistical analyses, breakout profile modeling, and much more!
THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1983 - For the third time in eight years, George Steinbrenner hired Billy Martin as the New York Yankees manager. Martin replaced Clyde King, who moved to the front office.