Published on 14 January 2013
30 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
76 – Number of days until Opening Day
2– Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
California Winter League News & Notes
- On January 17th & 18th MLB Workout days that are free to the public
- Season begins on January 19th and ends February 12th
- PROMO DAYS
- Wednesday - $1 Admission
- Thursday - $10 Group admission ( groups up to 10 people get in for $10)
- Friday - Business man Special ( $10 admission with business card includes admission, hot dog and bud or bud light draft
- Saturday - $1 draft beer (bud or bud light)
MLB News & Notes
Brian Wilson, the bearded closer from the San Francisco Giants, recently had a private workout with the New York Mets. Wilson has 9 or 10 teams showing interest in him, but if the Mets sign Wilson he would be the closer instead of Frank Francisco.
Carl Crawford continues to rehab from elbow surgery and recently began baseball activities. The Dodgers are counting on Crawford being healthy for the 2013 season.
- The Los Angeles Angeles and Fernando Cabrera agreed to a minor league deal, which includes an invitation to spring training. Cabrera has pitched seven years in the big leagues and spent the 2012 season with the Mets' Triple-A affiliate. He will provide the Angels' farm system with bullpen depth.
- The Philadelphia Phillies have contacted the Chicago Cubs about a possible trade for Alfonso Soriano. If the Cubs were to trade Soriano, they will most likely pay the majority of the $38 million that is left on the contract. But, Soriano had a solid 2012 campaign, so look for the Cubs to ask for more in return than last offseason.
- The Oakland A's and Chris Resop agreed to a one-year deal. Resop is expected to compete for a middle relief spot in the A's bullpen. Resop went 1-4 with one save and a 3.91 ERA in 61 relief appearances with Pittsburgh last year.
Jay Bruce of the Cincinnati Reds' says he is will to play center field if it is best for the team. The Reds plan to start Shin-Soo Choo in center field, but Choo only played 10 games in center field in the majors and just once in the last six years. Bruce recently told Baker he is willing to come in lighter and make the move to center from right field if needed.
- Did you know that Colin Kaepernick was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in 2009 as a pitcher? The Cubs selected him in the 43rd round of the 2009 draft, only 1,309 picks after the other famous right-hander of that year’s class — Stephen Strasburg. One of the Cubs scouts had heard that Kaepernick had a 90 mph fastball as a high school pitcher. Any chance Kaepernick could still wear Cubbie Blue?
THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1954- Baseball and Hollywood are officially linked as former New York Yankees great Joe DiMaggio married actress Marilyn Monroe.