Published on 16 January 2013
28 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
74 – Number of days until Opening Day
1– Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
California Winter League News & Notes
- League games start on Saturday January 19th
- Season Package – $100 (25 tickets good for any game day & any seat in the stadium)
- Adult Single Game Admission – $8
- Senior Single Game Admission – $7
- Student Single Game Admission – $6
- POWER Ticket (includes admission, hot dog, chips and soda) – $11
- For more information, please visit www.CaliforniaWinterLeague.com
MLB News & Notes
- The Washington Nationals and Rafael Soriano agreed on a two-year deal. Soriano has also pitched for the Mariners, Braves, and Rays. He closed for Atlanta in 2009 and Tampa Bay in 2010, when he was an All-Star and named the AL's top reliever with the Rolaids Relief Award. Despite the fact that the Nationals have not announced Soriano's role, but given the value of the contract, he is likely to enter the season as the team's closer.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers have signed former Nationals catcher Jesus Flores to a minor league contract. The Dodgers are also showing an interest in Scott Rolen to back up Luis Cruz at third base. Its been reported that Rolen was considering retirement, but a backup roll on a talented Dodgers team may be enough for Rolen to return.
- New York Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis plans to tweak his batting stance this spring. He'll be in more of a crouch with his legs wider apart and his hands lower.
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Mike Napoli situation will likely resolved by next week.The Boston Red Sox are working hard to find resolution. Meanwhile, two other teams have expressed interest in Napoli.
- The Philadelphia Phillies and Aaron Cook agreed on minor league contract. Cook will most likely join the Phillies Triple-A LehighValley Iron Pigs to begin the season. Cook has no fantasy value at all and should not be considered in any format.
Manny Ramirez wants to continue his MLB career. At 40 years old, its highly unlikely any team wants to mess with signing with Ramirez. This is a classic case of a player staying too long.
- The Justin Upton trade rumors continue....We heard on Tuesday that the New York Mets won’t trade Zack Wheeler to acquire Justin Upton from Arizona, and that there's not much momentum in talks between the Mets and Diamondbacks.
THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1974 - Former New York Yankees teammates Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford to the Hall of Fame. Mantle becomes only the seventh player to make it in his first try. His 536 home runs with the Yankees ranked second only to Babe Ruth and he played in more games (2,401) than any other pinstriper, including Lou Gehrig.