Published on 17 January 2013
27 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
73 – Number of days until Opening Day
0– Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
California Winter League News & Notes
- League Description: A showcase league for Professional players and free agents
- Over our first 3 seasons 50+% of all CWL players have left with spring training opportunities with both MLB & Independent professional teams.
- MLB workout days are today and tomorrow.
- League games start on Saturday January 19th
- Starting on the 20th of January, 3 games per day - February 12th
- For more information, please visit www.CaliforniaWinterLeague.com
MLB News & Notes
- The Washington Nationals sent Michael Morse in a three-team deal that moved catcher John Jaso to Oakland. Jaso became expendable when Seattle acquired Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez. The Nationals reacquired pitching prospect A.J. Cole, dealt from Washington to Oakland 13 months ago in the trade for Gio Gonzalez. Washington also got minor league pitcher Blake Treinen and a player to be named. Its one of those trades that you can argue is a win-win-win for each team. Morse will compete for first base along with Justin Smoak. Kendry Morales will be the Mariners DH and look for Morse to play left field if Smoak has a good spring training.
- To open a roster spot for John Jaso, Oakland designated catcher George Kottaras for assignment. Kottaras just signed a one-year deal with the A's on Monday. Look for Kottaras to be traded soon.
- The Boston Red Sox have finally come to an agreement with Mike Napoli on a one-year deal. It is not as nearly as lucrative as the three-year, $39 million deal they agreed to on December 3, but it gives Napoli the opportunity to go to Boston, have a good season, and then go back on the free agent market. For the Red Sox, it relieves them of the original deal.
- The Texas Rangers and Matt Harrison agreed to a five-year deal on Wednesday. Harrison is coming off back-to-back strong seasons, having posted a 3.34 ERA while winning 32 games since the start of 2011. Rangers GM, Josh Daniels now has locked up his top three pitchers - Yu Darvish, Derek Holland, and Harrison through the 2017 season.
- The San Diego Padres and Wil Venable avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year deal. Venable is coming off a year where he batted .264 with nine homers and 24 steals. He'll be the Padres' right fielder in 2013.
- Derek Jeter (ankle) confirmed that he has been cleared for baseball activity. He won't begin them until later this month, but it's a good sign that Jeter will be available for Opening Day.
- The Baltimore Orioles have agreed to contact extensions with manager Buck Showalter and GM Dan Duquette through the 2018 season. The duo teamed up to produce a 93-win Orioles club that made the postseason for the first time since 1997 and beat the Texas Rangers in a one-game wild-card playoff.
- THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1970 - The Sporting News named Willie Mays as Player of the Decade for the 1960s.