Published on 22 February 2013
MLB In Full Bloom is sponsored by The Hitting Zone, Coachella Valley’s Premiere Indoor Batting Cages and training facility for Baseball and Softball. Call Patrick Evans at (760) 346.2414 for more information.
Each Friday, we will be giving away a free video analysis from the Hitting Zone. Fill out the entry form that is located on the right hand side of this page to enter.
38– Number of days until Opening Day
MLB News & Notes
- Why are these free agents lingering out there without getting an opportunity? Is it their price tag? Is there just not a fit? Its probably a combination of both for these players. These are the key free agents as of today: Kyle Lohse, Grady Sizemore, Brian Wilson, Ryan Theriot, Jose Valverde, Carlos Zambrano, Scott Podsednik, Jim Thome, Carlos Zambrano, Carlos Lee, Johnny Damon, and Bobby Abreu.
Matt Garza (lat strain) is confident that he'll be ready in time for Opening Day. Garza suffered a strained lat while throwing batting practice Sunday and isn’t expected to start throwing again until next week.
- Despite Corey Hart announcing that he could return by April 20th, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke still expects Hart to be out until late May. Let's not rule out a return in April, but it probably makes sense that he will return in May.
- New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi has been talking about flipping center fielder Curtis Granderson and left fielder Brett Gardner all spring, and now they will try it.
- Cleveland Indians manager Terry Francona said Scott Kazmir has "looked so good it's scary" early on in camp. Kazmir has a 5.54 ERA in the majors dating back to 2009 and is trying to win a roster spot as a non-roster invitee.
Ryan Zimmerman (shoulder) is scheduled to take live batting practice Friday for the first time this spring. Zimmerman should be ready to go by Opening Day.
- The Washington Nationals and Chris Young agreed to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. Young is unlikely to make the Nationals Opening Day roster, but will add some organizational rotation depth.
Rafael Furcal announced in Cardinals camp that his right elbow "still hurts" when he tries to throw. Furcal will not play in the first couple weeks of spring training games and I'm just not sure what impact Furcal will have this year for fantasy owners. The Cardinals may have to start Ronny Cedeno at shortstop if Furcal's issue lingers. Pete Kozma and Ryan Jackson may be in the mix for playing time.
THIS DATE IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 2006 - The Los Angeles Dodgers announced they had extended the contract of Vin Scully through 2008. The Hall of Fame broadcaster, considered by many to be the best announcer in baseball history, began his 57th year which is the longest tenure of any on-air individual in sports history, in the Dodger organization.