Published on 18 March 2013
TO ORDER YOUR OWN MLB IN FULL BLOOM T-SHIRT, click here….
MLB In Full Bloom is sponsored by The Hitting Zone, Coachella Valley’s Premiere Indoor Batting Cages and training facility for Baseball and Softball. Call Patrick Evans at (760) 346.2414 for more information.
Each Friday, we will be giving away a free video analysis from the Hitting Zone. Fill out the entry form that is located on the right hand side of this page to enter.
15– Number of days until Opening Day
MLB News & Notes
- Mark Teixeira (wrist) hinted Sunday that it's possible he could be out all of May. Teixeira said the injury is the tendon sheath in his right wrist, which is the same injury Jose Bautista dealt with last year. If he has an operation, it would end his season.
- San Diego Padres manager Bud Black announced Sunday that Chase Headley (thumb) might be out for Opening Day. Headley jammed his left thumb Sunday while trying to break up a double play.
- Aroldis Chapman said Saturday that he "would like to be a closer." Reds manager Dusty Baker would also like Chapman to be the Reds closer, but general manager Walt Jocketty and others with the Reds would like to try him out in the rotation. A decision is expected this week.
- Carl Crawford (elbow) went 0-for-3 in his Cactus League debut Sunday. Crawford still hasn't been cleared to play the field, and will continue to serve as the designated hitter.
- Zack Greinke (elbow) said he felt no pain during a 45-pitch bullpen session Sunday. It's doubtful that he'll be ready to start on April 2nd, but it's possible he will be ready on April 13 when the Dodgers need a fifth starter.
- Albert Pujols (knee) is expected to make his first Cactus League start at first base Tuesday. Pujols is batting .353 with two homers this spring.
- Sean Burnett threw a scoreless inning on Saturday afternoon. Burnett seems to be over the back injury that bothered him in February and early March. He'll serve in a setup role this season.
- Jimmy Rollins will return to camp with the Phillies on Monday and play in a minor league game. Rollins was given an extra day to return to camp after Team USA was eliminated from the World Baseball Classic on Friday.
- Pablo Sandoval will miss at least the next couple of days after he felt numbness in his fingers from right elbow pain before Sunday's spring training game.
- Chicago Cubs top prospects Javy Baez and Jorge Soler will be sent to minor league camp today. Both players were impressive and just need to play more games to get the necessary experience. Baez hit four home runs in his last seven at bats.
- THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1990 - Players and owners reach a new collective bargaining agreement that will end the 32-day lockout of spring training camps.